I was in the US for 6 months in early 2011. During this period I rented a room in a private family home in san jose, and was badly harassed by the landlord\'s live-in partner. The harassment was of emotional abuse and sexual harassment ..... since i was new to the US i was not aware how effective it would be to pursue this in court, so i came away without any action on it. But in hindsight i would like to educate my self on how sensitive the US is in such matters and whether it would have been possible to sue for this, and how does the system there acknowledge such a dispute since there is usually no tangible evidence of it.

I assume i would have had to call the cops and deal with the issue but i guess it can be a problem if your case does not get proved? NOT sure, trying to find some answers. Not only was i constantly feeling unsafe and insecure in this situation (and i am a single woman), it also ended up affecting me so much that i lost the relationship with the man i was with.

From United States , Cambridge
Ph.d International Law

Well, in terms of Sexual harrasement, which includes forced sexual intercourse to indecent exposure and remarks against female, the California State department of Police acts as an investigating authority.

However, it is a shame that women shy away from reporting such cases at the very onset. Making it much difficult for the police to investigate.

My dear, you should have reported the case while you were in USA without bothering yourself of the implications of a failed investigation, as the result of it wont have effected your migration status to USA. It would have only created a zone of suspicion against the offender (even in case of failed investigation).

If the sexual harrasement was not by use of physical force but involved some kind of mental duress, the situation would be same.

AS for actions you can take now. I would insist you to report it to the Local Indian Embassy in San Jose, through email and also the US embassy nearest to you, with full details of the offender yourself and the nature of offence.

You can also use the online reporting system of the California Police Department for doing the needful.


As for reasons of delay in reporting, you can take the plea of feeling unsafe and emotionally stressed out. Though it may not be sufficient to explain a more than 6 months delay in reporting. But still you should explain your circusmtances clearly.

From United States , New York
I did write an email to the san francisco embassy, but got no reply. If i write an email to the US embassy in India, i am not sure it will be believed without evidence. And in any case, how is this going to help me ? Are they going to initiate a lawsuit against the offender? in that case all kinds of evidences will be required. I am confused about this and it makes me wonder what is the right thing to do. I dont want additional worries to handle. Yes i have gone thru severe mental anguish and it is hard to re-live those moments. I do have a written record of all my discussions with my attorney and i was told that such a case will not stand much benefit in court. There needs to be evidence of some sort. And it was not a physical force to sexual acts but more of a mental harassment and verbal abuse situation. I let go of it, because I dont know how to deal with such situations as a first timer. It is scary and other people\'s opinions were that it is pointless to pursue this. That is wh
From United States , Cambridge
Normally Reporting to the police of the incidents is the first step. Which you should have taken while you were being harassed. After you would have made the report, it would have been the duty of the Police to Investigate, and not your duty to give them the evidence. You were only required to report and re-report any act of harassment.
Late reporting is normally seen as mis-use of law and in your case its too late. So obviously doing anything now wont really yield any much favors to you. Because now you have the added burden of giving proofs and also proving your mental state for reporting late. And in that regards your attorney is somehow right.
But do take it as a lesson for future. Women dont need to chicken out on such events.
And if you have not really got a reply for your mail to the embassy, it could have been a loosely written email. I would suggest you to take courage and draft yourself a somewhat legal sort of email if you want to take up the matter and inform

From United States , New York
ok, thanks. If ever i am in such a situation again, I will report it. But i was also told that if you call 911 and they polive arrive, and ofcourset he lanslady will deny such an act, then it is a \"she says vs she says\" situation and you will be asked to leave the house. So in any case, just leave without calling the police and save yourself the hassle.
I see your point on this. I should have called 911.
It is okay. Maybe if i ever face this again i now have the info i need to handle such an event.
I wrote another strongly worded, detailed, long email to the embassy in SF yesterday, bit no reply yet. In any case, pursuing a lawsuit is not really of any use. What do you gain by punishing someone? I feel it is better to move past such things and look at life and how to build your own life rather than punishing others. This is another reason why i did not strongly pursue it.
BUt it is good to know what can or cannot be done. SEcondly, causal damages are hard to prove, a

From United States , Cambridge

If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.

Add Reply → Start New →

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2022 Cite.Co™

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server