EDP is Electronic Data Processing. Electronic processing of applications result in a certain level of uniformity and transparency. Maximum amount of information has been made available to the public viz. information relating
to patent/trade mark applications, including the status, examination reports and other documents. This
manual is expected to bring in further transparency and uniform practices in the four offices.
Processing of a application is a multi-stage process, involving filing of an application,electronic data processing, screening and classification, publication, examination, pre-grant opposition, grant / refusal. Different persons like Examiner of Trade marks, Controller of Trade Marks, Applicant / Agent and general public are involved in the process.
Trade Mark/patent office receives the documents, it include the process :
1. The application and any other documents with accompanying fees and/or without accompanying fees is received at the Trade Mark Office at separate counters known as Fee Counter (FC) and Non-Fee Counter (NFC) respectively.
2. Both the counters stand closed at 5 pm for facilitating further processing and no papers will be received after 5 pm.
3. All documents by post/courier are received at a separate counter. The fee bearing documents are sent to the fee counter and the non-fee bearing documents are sent to the non-fee counter.
4. The staff at the fee counter makes relevant entries in the module and generates the Cash Book Receipts (CBRs). The staff at the non-fee counter makes relevant entry in the document receipt module.
5. The staff at the fee counter stamps the documents so received and enters the CBR number, date, amount of fee received, application number, patent number or other relevant entries. The staff at the non-fee counter also stamps the documents after making entries in the module.
6. The documents from both the counters are sent on an hourly basis to the Electronic Data Processing (EDP) Section for digitization.
7. Documents requiring no digitization are sent to the concerned section on daily basis.