A friend of mine who used work in the United States of America, died few months ago in India while he was on a visit. His family is not aware of his assets in the US and the procedure to follow to claim them. It would really be helpful if someone can advise the procedure.
Thanks & Regards,
7th December 2010 From United States , Atlanta
Generally, his family can contact his former employer, with sufficient proofs of their relationship. The employer can provide his last known address, as well as any information as to wages due, financial instruments held in his name, i.e. life insurance policies, investment vehicles, stock, and the like. If he had "direct deposit" of his wages, the employer may have the name of the financial institution holding his funds.

However, in this day of internet fraud/ scams, the probability of receiving any information from the employer without clear and compelling evidence that the persons presenting themselves as "family" (parents, brothers, sisters) are who they claim to be is nil.

I would recommend that the family contact the Indian embassy/ consulate closest to his last known address and invite them to solicit the services of a US attorney who can investigate the matter and represent the family's interests.

If there is no Will, and no record of immediate family, depending on the State where he lived, his assets could be claimed by that State after a reasonable period of time.


25th December 2010 From United States , Redmond
Add Reply Start A New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™